Whereas Google’s Chromebooks are all about on-line companies, typically you want old school printout to accompany your digital adventures.
Printing from a Chromebook has gotten rather a lot simpler over time, but it surely nonetheless isn’t all the time apparent easy methods to get began or which paths to embrace. Comply with this information, and hopefully, you’ll be churning out paper out of your cloud-centric laptop very quickly.
[Note: unfortunately, the Cloud Print system, which made it a lot easier to print using any cloud-connected device, was relegated to the Google graveyard in 2020. This means that some older printers may not be able to print from a Chromebook, period. Before purchasing a printer, especially a used one, make sure it’s compatible with ChromeOS. Google lists some compatible printers on this page.]
Add a present wi-fi printer
Supplied you have got a fairly current printer that’s able to connecting to the web, it is best to be capable to add it on to your Chromebook with out the necessity for supplementary companies.
First, be sure that the printer is on and related to the identical Wi-Fi community as your laptop. The process for connecting a printer to Wi-Fi varies from one mannequin to the subsequent, however there’s typically a “Wi-Fi” or “web” choice someplace on the printer’s show, both as an icon on the primary display screen or as an choice in its settings menu. This could stroll you thru the method.
Received the printer on-line and prepared? Right here’s what to do subsequent:
- Click on the clock within the lower-right nook of your Chromebook’s display screen. Then click on the gear-shaped icon to open its settings.
- Kind print into the search field on the prime of the settings panel, then choose Add printer from the drop-down menu.
- Click on in your printer’s title within the checklist that seems, and click on the Arrange button to complete the pairing.
- It’s doable that an older printer might seem within the checklist however might not configure robotically. Attempt including the producer and mannequin within the pop-up field that seems. If that doesn’t work, you then’ll have so as to add it manually.
Add an older wi-fi printer
In case your printer doesn’t seem within the checklist (which can occur if it’s an older machine), you’ll must click on the Add printer button.
- Give the printer any title you need.
- Kind its IP handle into the Tackle field. (You may often discover the IP handle someplace within the printer’s show menu. Attempt trying in its settings for a piece about community or wi-fi configuration.)
- Go away the opposite two fields as they’re, and click on the blue Add button. Kind in your printer’s producer (e.g., “HP”) and mannequin (e.g., “Officejet Professional 8600”), and choose the suitable choices as they seem. Click on the blue Add button whenever you’re achieved.
Join a printer bodily to your Chromebook
If you happen to’re utilizing a a lot older printer that isn’t internet-capable, or whether it is internet-capable however you’re having hassle connecting it manually as described above, don’t fret. You may join your printer bodily to a Chromebook utilizing a USB cable.
- Plug the cable into your printer, after which plug the opposite finish into your Chromebook. (Chances are you’ll want an adapter, relying on what sort of cable you have got and how much ports your Chromebook offers.)
- Chances are you’ll get a pop-up discover asking you to configure the printer. Click on on the pop-up, choose Add Printer, and comply with the instructions.
- In any other case, open your Chromebook’s settings and sort “print” into the search field.
- Choose Printing.
- Click on in your printer’s title, and click on the blue Add button to complete.
That’s it! Now simply hit Ctrl-P from any browser tab or search for the Print command in any app. (Word: Within the Print field that seems, you could not instantly see the title of your printer within the Vacation spot subject. If not, click on within the subject, and if you happen to nonetheless don’t see your printer, click on on See extra… It’s best to see your printer there.) Then put together to print to your coronary heart’s content material.
Replace Could twenty eighth, 2022, 9:00AM ET: This text was initially printed on April seventeenth, 2019, and has been up to date to elucidate that Google eradicated its Cloud Print characteristic.